[Chaoss-software] Code of Conduct for CHAOSS Project - open for discussion

Daniel Izquierdo dizquierdo at bitergia.com
Tue Oct 3 08:22:20 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Good discussion, thanks.

I'd like to be more inclusive in the Code of Conduct being even more
welcoming as done for instance in the OpenStack Foundation CoC [1].

"*Be friendly, patient and welcoming.* We strive to be a community that
welcomes and supports people of all backgrounds and identities. This
includes, but is not limited to, members of any race, ethnicity,
culture, national origin, colour, immigration status, social and
economic class, educational level, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity and expression, age, size, family status, political belief,
religion and mental and physical ability."

But, it's true that the OPNFV one is simple and effective :)

Regards,
Daniel.

ps: there are others such as the ASF or PSF CoC that are great as well.
Said all of this, I'm not an expert in CoCs, I may have missed something!

[1] https://www.openstack.org/legal/community-code-of-conduct/

On 03/10/17 00:35, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona wrote:
> Hi, Georg,
>
> In GrimoireLab I was about to propose widely a small modification of
> the OPNFV code of conduct [1], which seemed to me, and to some other
> people who participated in a preliminary discussion, a good compromise
> between  simplicity and utility.
>
> [1] https://wiki.opnfv.org/display/DEV/OPNFV+Community+Code+of+Conduct
>
> If you prefer to do this at the CHAOSS level, I can wait.
>
> Saludos,
>
> 	Jesus.
>
> On Mon, 2017-10-02 at 11:19 -0500, Georg Link wrote:
>> Hi CHAOSS members,
>>
>> On the CHAOSS metrics mailing list, we saw interest in a code of
>> conduct for the CHAOSS Project. The code of conduct is a well-known
>> tool in diversity and inclusion efforts.
>>
>>  From a CHAOSS Metrics Committee perspective, we might benefit from
>> the process of establishing a code of conduct in several ways.
>> We take a step towards building a diverse and inclusive community
>> ourselves.
>> We can exchange the experience from our many members regarding codes
>> of conduct and how they affect community dynamics.
>> I believe that metrics may be influenced by the existence of a code
>> of conduct and we might learn something about the interrelationships.
>> ... other benefits?
>>
>> Where to start?
>> Our governance document [1] has the section 5 code of conduct. Is
>> this sufficient?
>>> 5. Code of Conduct
>>>      The GB may adopt a fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory
>>> Project code-of-conduct, with approval from The Linux Foundation as
>>> outlined below.
>>>      The Project will operate in a transparent, open, collaborative,
>>> and ethical manner at all times.
>>>      The output of all Project discussions, proposals, timelines,
>>> decisions, and status will be made open and easily visible to all.
>> Is this sufficient or do we want more?
>>
>> All thoughts and ideas are welcome!
>>
>> Best,
>> Georg
>>
>> PS:
>> I'm cross-posting this to the software and metrics mailing lists
>> because it is relevant to the whole CHAOSS community. I propose we
>> continue the conversation on the metrics mailing list, where the
>> conversation started.
>>
>> [1] https://chaoss.community/about/governance/

Daniel Izquierdo Cortazar, PhD
Chief Data Officer
---------
"Software Analytics for your peace of mind"
www.bitergia.com
@bitergia