[Chaoss-software] [Meeting item] Future events where we plan to participate

Ben Lloyd Pearson benp at osg.samsung.com
Wed Oct 18 21:19:16 UTC 2017

I have a bit of experience with events planning, so I'll add my 2 cents.

On 10/18/2017 05:46 AM, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-10-17 at 21:14 -0700, dmg wrote:
>> I think there are two types of events:
>>
>> 1. To promote the project
>>
>> 2. To work on the project.
>>
>> so perhaps we should also think if there is a way we can have a
>> "workshop" where we can discuss what we need to do (type 2 above).

I think internal promotion/awareness is also something to consider. As someone who is using these tools, it's valuable to me to be able to see the work others are doing to get ideas for my own work and a better idea of where the software is headed. At GrimoireCon in Austin, it was nice to get an explanation of how new components of the software work, and to see other projects people had been working on that I didn't previously know about.

>> I think the main challenge at this point is that chaOSS does not have
>> anything to show. so i don't see much point of going around
>> advertising the brand>
> Well, in the software committee we have cregit, GrimoireLab and
> Prospector ;-) In the Metrics TC they have many metrics with
> definitions (and in some cases implementations), and a process for
> defining them. All of those deserves to be made as much public as
> possible, I think...

Jesus is spot on, while there might not be many public examples of things people here have been doing, there is still valuable software to show off to external communities. From my experience, people really get interested in this software when they see examples of it in action, and I think there are probably a lot of people who know little to nothing about these projects that would be interested in what is already available.

> In any case, I agree with the second. Maybe some of the Linux
> Foundation events could be a good opportunity for that, since some of
> us may go there. But the problem would be ensuring a critical mass of
> people (at least from the point of view of the Software TC) attending.

In the US, I think it makes sense to keep an event close to OSCON (which will be in Portland in 2018), considering that the Community Leadership Summit tends to bring in a lot of people who are interested in this topic, including some people who are already involved. If we want to target promotion, I think Linux Foundation events, like the Open Source Summit, would also be very good because they are more likely to have people who would be interested in using the tools (as opposed to developers).

I have very little experience with events in the EU, so I can't add much there. However, my impression from other people is that FOSDEM attracts more developers (so might be good for a workshop) while the LF events would be a good option for promotion.

Obviously, with the smallish team we have here we won't be able to have a major presence at all of the important events, so we'll have to focus for now. Perhaps the best route would be to have a work-focused event at FOSDEM, and some sort of promotion-focused event for a conference in the US.

--
Ben Lloyd Pearson - Open Source Operations & Strategy
Samsung Open Source Group
benp at osg.samsung.com