[Chaoss-software] [Meeting item] Future events where we plan to participate

Sean Goggins s at goggins.com
Thu Oct 19 13:20:04 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I appreciate Jesus’s shaping of our groups discourse. And also Daniel’s observation that “chaoss” has nothing to show. And Jesus’s subsequent observation that we have 3 projects, including his and Daniel’s, in the CHAOSS GitHub Repo.

A few items from my point of view:
1. Making metrics visible and useful is more than loading software in a repo and continuing to invest. We need a conceptual roadmap articulated.
2. Before we do that I think we try a few things.  I like the metrics committees idea of putting together 3-7 “activity metrics” in the various implementations of CHAOSS.
3. Having a common place to discuss what different metrics mean and then operationalizing them in software against projects with different structures and social technologies will enable the advancement of metrics with greater potential. I think getting that conversation started is an accomplishment. Keeping it going and engaging developers in the work of software construction around those metrics is an additional challenge.

The metrics committee gives us a chance to listen to metrics consumers before we build software. Related to that effort, The more nascent ghdata project focuses on building out examples of metrics using principles derived from human centered design and social computing research. I’ll say more about that in a separate message.

Sean P. Goggins
(816) 368-1364
http://www.seangoggins.net
visit: http://www.sociotech.net
visit: http://www.datafactories.org

"I force people to have coffee with me, just because I don't trust that a friendship can be maintained without any other senses besides a computer or cellphone screen.”
— John Cusack

On Oct 18, 2017, at 05:46, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona <jgb at bitergia.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2017-10-17 at 21:14 -0700, dmg wrote:
> I think there are two types of events:
>
> 1. To promote the project
>
> 2. To work on the project.
>
> so perhaps we should also think if there is a way we can have a
> "workshop" where we can discuss what we need to do (type 2 above).
>
> I think the main challenge at this point is that chaOSS does not have
> anything to show. so i don't see much point of going around
> advertising the brand.

Well, in the software committee we have cregit, GrimoireLab and
Prospector ;-) In the Metrics TC they have many metrics with
definitions (and in some cases implementations), and a process for
defining them. All of those deserves to be made as much public as
possible, I think...

In any case, I agree with the second. Maybe some of the Linux
Foundation events could be a good opportunity for that, since some of
us may go there. But the problem would be ensuring a critical mass of
people (at least from the point of view of the Software TC) attending.

Saludos,

   Jesus.