[Chaoss-software] [Oss-health-metrics] Summary of today's weekly hangout

Sean Goggins s at goggins.com
Sun Oct 22 06:32:24 UTC 2017

Hi Georg,

I think this kind of summary is super helpful for understanding the work the metrics committee is doing.  Would you mind also distributing this to the software list for CHAOSS? I think it may provide some connection and context that helps the two committees work together.

Thanks,

Sean

> On Oct 10, 2017, at 9:51 PM, Georg Link <glink at unomaha.edu <mailto:glink at unomaha.edu>> wrote:

> #chaoss-community: CHAOSS weekly hangout
>

> Meeting started by rpaik at 19:01:22 UTC.  The full logs are available
> at
> http://ircbot.wl.linuxfoundation.org/meetings/chaoss-community/2017/chaoss-community.2017-10-10-19.01.log.html <http://ircbot.wl.linuxfoundation.org/meetings/chaoss-community/2017/chaoss-community.2017-10-10-19.01.log.html>
> .
>

> Meeting summary
> ---------------
>
> * discussion on OpenStack diversity report and how they relate to
>   metrics  (rpaik, 19:02:43)
> * LINK:
>   http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/reference/projects.yaml <http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/reference/projects.yaml>
>   (rpaik, 19:05:06)
> * discussion on mapping existing metrics to software implementations
>   (e.g. in Grimoire Labs, Prospector, etc.)  (rpaik, 19:09:47)
> * We should move forward with describing metrics in a way they are
>   consumable by implementations  (glink__, 19:10:17)
> * LINK: http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/bitergia-intel-report/ <http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/bitergia-intel-report/>
>   (rpaik, 19:12:59)
> * Matt suggests to not include 'actions' taken based on metrics - we
>   need to observe metrics before we can speak to how they "live in the
>   world".  (glink__, 19:18:09)
> * LINK:
>   https://github.com/chaoss/metrics/blob/master/activity-metrics/metric-template.md <https://github.com/chaoss/metrics/blob/master/activity-metrics/metric-template.md>
>   (glink__, 19:19:36)
> * we have a template on GitHub right now and we want to refine it to
>   what is more useful  (glink__, 19:19:54)
> * NOTE: the template was designed for the dokuwiki and needs to be
>   converted to Markdown in GitHub.  (glink__, 19:20:19)
> * discussion on coming to some consensus on the mailing list for
>   templates (vs. starting something directly on GitHub)  (rpaik,
>   19:20:20)
> * in Prague will be a 1-hour presentation about what CHAOSS is
>   (glink__, 19:28:52)
> * LINK: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/chaoss/events <https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/chaoss/events> Details on the
>   event  (glink__, 19:36:43)
> * LINK: http://grimoirelab.github.io/con/ <http://grimoirelab.github.io/con/> GrimoireCon in Brussles
>   (glink__, 19:38:32)
> * CHAOSS might cooperate with GrimoireCon to show some presence. First
>   week of February (2nd?)  (glink__, 19:42:25)
> * LINK: https://fosdem.org/2018/ <https://fosdem.org/2018/>  (glink__, 19:42:30)
>

> Meeting ended at 19:48:56 UTC.
>

> People present (lines said)
> ---------------------------
>
> * glink__ (16)
> [...]

Sean P. Goggins
Associate Professor, Computer Science
Director, Data Science and Analytics Masters Program
University of Missouri
http://www.seangoggins.net <http://www.seangoggins.net/>

Computer Science:  http://engineering.missouri.edu/cs/  <http://engineering.missouri.edu/cs/>
Data Science & Analytics: http://dsa.missouri.edu <http://dsa.missouri.edu/>
MU Informatics Institute http://muii.missouri.edu <http://muii.missouri.edu/>
visit: http://www.sociotech.net <http://www.sociotech.net/>
visit: http://osshealth.io <http://osshealth.io/> (for ghdata OSS Metrics Software) [Sloan Foundation]
visit:  <http://chaoss.community/>http://c <http://c/>haoss.community (for open source health metrics) [Sloan Foundation]
visit: http://mhs.missouri.edu <http://mhs.missouri.edu/> (for mission hydro sci!) [i3 & IES]
visit: http://ocdx.io <http://ocdx.io/> (for the open collaboration data exchange!)   [National Science Foundation]
visit: http://sociallycompute.io <http://sociallycompute.io/> (for code like things and Group Informatics) [National Science Foundation]

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
-- Margaret Mead

"Probably the most dangerous thing about college education, at least in my own case, is that it enables my tendency to over-intellectualize stuff, to get lost in abstract arguments inside my head instead of simply paying attention to what’s going on right in front of me."
— David Foster Wallace

‌‌