[CHAOSS] Monthly Meeting Minutes 2018-12-04

Georg Link glink at unomaha.edu
Tue Dec 4 18:03:37 UTC 2018

CHAOSS Monthly Call Minutes
December 04, 2018Agenda:

1) CHAOSS Board Updates/Discussion

2) Workgroup Updates/Discussion - D&I and GMD

3) Software Updates/Discussion

4) Metrics Updates/Discussion

5) Outreach Updates/Discussion

6) Rotate Meeting Facilitator and Note Taker
Roll Call

Who is on the call:

   -

   Matt Germonprez
   -

   Georg Link
   -

   Armstrong
   -

   Ray Paik
   -

   Ben Lloyd Pearson
   -

   Dawn Foster
   -

   Daniel Izquierdo
   -

   Matthew Snell
   -

   Jesus Barahona
   -

   Robert Sanchez
   -

   Darianne Lopez
   -

   Vinod Ahuja
   -

   Ildiko Vancsa
   -

CHAOSS Board Updates/Discussion

   -

   Last week.
   -

   Metrics workgroup: deprecate the chaoss/metrics repo page.
   -

      Create a new web page /metrics → link to work in workgroup repos
      -

      Because the work moved to working groups and maintaining metrics in
      different places is too much overhead and doesn’t make sense.
      -

      Standardize the readme of the workgroup repos to signal that they are
      part of the same CHAOSS project
      -

         Nicole Huesman is working on the readme for D&I
         -

   Metrics versioning? (discussion during meeting, not governance board)
   -

      Different preferences in the past: only use timestamps from repo
      commits versus version release
      -

      Is there ever a need for users to refer to past versions of a metric
      release?
      -

         For software vendors to reference which version is implemented
         -

      Version number on metric or on package of metrics?
      -

         AI Workgroups: Discuss what makes sense and make a recommendation.
         -

   Board wants to increase representation of workgroups on the board.
   -

      Letters of interest will be circulated
      -

   Governing board is considering goals for 2019
   -

      Goals from workgroups will define goals for overall project
      -

      One goal would be to get implementation of metrics

Side conversation

- Quality, Risk metrics from Jesus research would be very interesting.
European companies are careful about GDPR implications of the current
metrics work. Challenge of parsers for different versions should need to be
overcome. Industry is in need of those metrics.
Outreach Updates/Discussion

   -

   How can CHAOSS as a community (or a workgroup) retain the people in the
   workgroup and expand involvement who are on the mailing list? What are
   things we can do to encourage people to participate in the workgroups,
   because that is where the work is being done.
   -

   Idea: Announce to mailing list what easy issues are good to get started
   with. (D&I started doing this)
   -

   Idea: Instead of fixing small things, create an issue.
   -

   Idea: Share ‘good first issue’ on other places, such as Twitter.
   -

   Idea: Ask for feedback from industry experts. (GMD started doing this)
   -

Side conversation: Licensing of CHAOSS metrics / how to include industry

- What is the model for disseminating the metrics with industry users who
develop metrics software? Why do we not hear more from people in industry
who are on our mailing list? What is the value we provide to implementers
in industry?

Rotate Meeting Facilitator and Note Taker

   -

   https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/chaoss/2018-December/000218.html
   -

   For all projects, not just the monthly calls?
   -

   The weekly meetings (hangouts), no agenda, no notes.
   -

   *For next meeting, January 8: *
   -

      Facilitator: *Daniel I.,*
      -

         Actions: Prepare agenda (updates from WGs, OSLS and other
         submissions), CHAOSSCon details, Outreach actions in place?,
announce the
         meeting (mailing list), ask working groups about agenda items, engage
         people, enjoy the meeting ;).
         -

      Notes: *Matt G.*
      -

         Actions: Take notes and send out to list after meeting

OTHER STUFF

   -

   GMD Workgroup Update:
   -

      Wants use cases
      -

      Works on visualizations
      -

      Works on dashboards
      -

      This is the pull request in grimoire-lab sigils with a proposal for a
      dashboard for CHAOSS Code Development metrics:
      https://github.com/chaoss/grimoirelab-sigils/issues/299
      -
      -
      -

   Open Source Leadership Summit CFP is open:
   https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-leadership-summit-2019/program/cfp/
   -

   D&I Workgroup Update
   -

      Dawn and Georg are new maintainers
      -

      Working on next year’s goal
      -

      Advancing metrics
      -

      Revised the representation of focus areas with folder structure and
      READMEs.
      -

   Decision making framework for CHAOSS status?
   -

      https://github.com/chaoss/governance/pull/69
      -

      There seemed to be consensus for this.