[CHAOSS] Some questions about CHAOSS

Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona jgb at bitergia.com
Sun Dec 9 16:29:39 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-12-09 at 22:12 +0700, Theodore Fabian Rudy wrote:
> Good day
> I am Theodore Fabian Rudy, GCI (Google Code-in) Students from
> MetaBrainz Foundation.
> My organization is planning to use CHAOSS's projects to measure the
> organizations health.

Hi Theodore,

Thanks a lot for your interest. See below for some answers to your
questions.

> Before that, we have some questions about CHAOSS:
> Do we need to set up any infrastructure ourselves? (Ie., do we need
> to run any software on our own, or is there a hosted solution
> somehow?)

The software part of CHAOSS for getting metrics for a software project
is composed mostly of two projects: Augur and GrimoireLab.

Augur provides some metrics by querying GHTorrent, and other data
sources. From its main README:

"Augur is focused on prototyping open source software metrics.

Functionally, Augur is a prototyped implementation of the Linux
Foundation's CHAOSS Project on open source software metrics.
Technically, Augur is a Flask Web Application, Python library and REST
server that presents metrics on open source software development
project health and sustainability."

You can get more info about it at https://github.com/chaoss/augur

GrimoireLab provides metrics from about 20 different data sources, and
is designed as a production-ready system to collect data from software
development repositories, and later exploit in several ways, including
producing dashboards for visualization.

More information about it: https://chaoss.github.io/grimoirelab
https://chaoss.github.io/grimoirelab-tutorial

In both cases, you need to install the infrastructure, or work with
some company that maintains the setup for you. In both cases (Augur and
GrimoireLab) you have Docker images prepared for some of the most usual
setups. Let us know if you have more specific questions about that.

> What kind of metrics does it take?
> What kind of data sources does it take? Is it possible to add
> additional data sources?

Have a look at the documentation for both systems. In short, Augur
works mainly with data from GitHub (but can support some other data
sources), GrimoireLab can take data from most usual systems used in
FOSS development.

> Any considerations with regards to the GDPR? Is it also using TLF's
> Privacy Policy?

GrimoireLab can be used having GDPR in mind, although the details may
be a bit tricky (bacause of GDPR, not because of the software).

I think TLF Privacy Policy is not applicable here, because it defines
how a certain organization (TLF in this case) provides services. The
software itself can be used in many ways, including (AFAIK) this policy
(at least in the case of GrimoireLab).

We will be happy to enter into details for any of the above, if you
need it.

Saludos,

	Jesus.

Bitergia: http://bitergia.com