[CHAOSS] How decisions are made (was: Opening discussion on using Discourse Forum for CHAOSS)

Matt Germonprez germonprez at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:38:49 UTC 2018

Hi Jesus,

I agree that the fuzzy consensus seems to have worked until now.

Your email raises a great question of what constitutes a vote for
something, how a vote happens, and how we count them. I guess I'm saying
that I agree with you that people participate in different ways and we
really need to be sure to capture all of this conversation in a meaningful
way.

Matt

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 5:18 PM Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona <jgb at bitergia.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> [See proposals for action at the end, after some verbose comments]
>
> Maybe it is time to have a look at how we make decisions in CHAOSS. I
> think that up to now, consensus has been the rule. Procedure has been
> based on extensive discussion in the mailing list, and in weekly
> conference calls, whenever possible with all the people with an opinion
> on the matter. When a certain consensus has been perceived, either on
> the list or in the calls, it has been considered as a decision.
>
> I don't think this has always being the case, but I would say that
> usually people argue in favor or against, and propose different
> decisions, in the mailing list, and then during the calls, consensus
> areas are explored until a decision is perceived to have consensus. But
> other people who has participated in these processes may say too if
> this matches their experience.
>
> I think this works mostly this way both at the "all CHAOSS" level, and
> at the working group level, but I really can only speak for the GMD wg,
> since I have not participated in the D&I wg.
>
> Up to now, my feeling is this worked well. But maybe it is not scaling
> up as we have more people involved in general, people active in working
> groups, the set of people attending all calls, and participating in all
> mailing lists, is getting shorter and shorter (as a fraction of the
> total people involved in CHAOSS as a whole).
>
> We also have a more formal mechanism: discussion and voting in the
> CHAOSS board, according to our charter,
>
> https://chaoss.community/about/charter/
>
> So, I propose two actions:
>
> * First, comment on your feelings about the decision making process, in
> this specific case and in general. If many of us think that we need to
> decide more formally on a process, we can work on having one. If not,
> we can stick to the current way.
>
> * Second, if somebody feels that in this specific case we don't have a
> consensus, we can either talk it more broadly, or raising it to the
> CHAOSS Board. We have a meeting in a week, so this would be timely.
>
> What do you think?
>
>         Jesus.
>
> --
> --
> Bitergia: http://bitergia.com
> /me at Twitter: https://twitter.com/jgbarah

Mutual of Omaha Associate Professor
Information Systems
College of Information Science & Technology
University of Nebraska Omaha
he / him / his
https://goo.gl/E87KdK