[CHAOSS] suggestion: standardize abbreviated names of entities and some metrics

dmg dmg at turingmachine.org
Tue Oct 2 18:07:56 UTC 2018

Hi everybody,

sorry I missed the call today.

During the Vancouver meeting I realized that we have problems
connecting tools. Part of the problem is that every tool
uses a different name for the same entities.

I would like to suggest that as part of CHAOSS, there is also an
attempt to standardize how to call an entity
in a repository/database. Note these are not the names of the
entities, but their abbreviations.

This is what I mean:

1. Entities.

  A commit has a commit id,  "author" and a "committer" and a
  authorship-date, and a committing date.

  What should we call them?

  cregit calls them: cid, author, committer, autdate, comdate,

  a subderived entity: we prefix with an identifier:

     author => autemail, autname

2. Counts.

What should counts be called? We prefix the entity with n;

ncommits, nauthor, nfiles, etc.

--
Daniel M. German                  "To read is to travel without
all the hassles of luggage."