[CHAOSS] [wg-gmd] Last meeting Call Summary and Upcoming Call Reminder

Georg Link glink at unomaha.edu
Tue Sep 25 13:56:49 UTC 2018

Hey,

I was effected by the move to a branch and voice my concerns here.

I don't mean to interfere with the GMD workgroup, so feel free to disregard
my two cents.

Merging and maintaining a branch or a fork use the same git commands - and
are technically indistinguishable. The main difference is that a fork is a
branch within a new repository that can be managed independently.

The GMD workgroup:
- could assign commit rights to its own repository without asking the
metrics committee.
- would have greater visibility with its own repository.
- breaks the default workflow in GitHub of working against the 'master'
branch of a repository, which could be a barrier of entry for drive-by
contributors.
- gains nothing from moving to a branch with regards to staying in sync
with the metrics/master branch.

I understand that change is always facing resistence and that we would get
used to it, but having to teach someone new that we don't use the default
GitHub workflow does not sound like a good idea in itself - which is why we
created the repository to begin with.

Best,
Georg

--