[CHAOSS] Can CHAOSS issue letters of support?

Matt Germonprez germonprez at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 21:35:00 UTC 2019

Hi Georg,

This could certainly be something to bring to the board at the Leadership
Summit.

Typically, external letters associated with grant proposals require a
commitment (not just support or acknowledgement) by the letter writing
organization. This could be financial, personnel, access, development
resources... Broadly, I wonder what CHAOSS (or really any open source
project) could provide that is not already accessible via the project being
open. What would be a commitment in this case?

Matt

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 3:16 PM Georg Link <glink at unomaha.edu> wrote:

> Hi CHAOSS Community,
>
> Can CHAOSS issue letters of support? Who would be signatory for that?
>
> This might be an issue for the Governing Board but I am interested what
> the community thinks too.
>
> Background:
> I was talking to a team that is writing a grant proposal for a project
> which plans to use and implement CHAOSS metrics within their specific
> context of helping small but critical open source projects with resources
> to sustain and scale development. They asked whether the CHAOSS Project
> would be willing to provide a letter of support. I know that grant
> proposals are strengthened with letters of support and if the project has a
> clearly defined goal around implementing and providing input on CHAOSS
> metrics, I am open to the idea.
>
> Before we decide to support this specific project, we need to decide
> whether writing letters of support is generally something we can and want
> to do. If so, maybe it is something that the Governing Board would vote on
> case by case.
>
> Please share your thoughts, opinions, issues, arguments for or against.
>
> Thanks,
> Georg
>
> --
> Georg J.P. Link
> PhD Candidate
> College of Information Science and Technology | PKI 367
> University of Nebraska at Omaha | www.unomaha.edu
> he/him

Mutual of Omaha Associate Professor
Information Systems
College of Information Science & Technology
University of Nebraska Omaha
he / him / his
https://goo.gl/E87KdK