[Devel] Re: Network virtualization/isolation

Herbert Poetzl herbert at 13thfloor.at
Fri Dec 8 22:35:17 PST 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 10:13:48PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 04:50:02 +0100
> Herbert Poetzl <herbert at 13thfloor.at> wrote:

> > > Well we need a bit of both.
> >
> > hmm, are 'we' in a hurry here?
> >
> > until recently, 'Linux' (mainline) didn't even want
> > to hear about OS Level virtualization, now there
> > is a rush to quickly get 'something' in, not knowing
> > or caring if it is usable at all?
>
> It's actually happening quite gradually and carefully.

hmm, I must have missed a testing phase for the
IPC namespace then, not that I think it is broken
(well, maybe it is, we do not know yet)

> > I think there are a lot of 'potential users' for
> > this kind of virtualization, and so 'we' can test
> > almost all aspects outside of mainline, and once
> > we know the stuff works as expected, then we can
> > integrate it ...
> >
> > the UTS namespace was something 'we all' had already
> > implemented in this (or a very similar) way, and in
> > one or two interations, it should actually work as
> > expected. nevertheless, it was one of the simplest
> > spaces ...
> >
> > we do not yet know the details for the IPC namespace,
> > as IPC is not that easy to check as UTS, and 'we'
> > haven't gotten real world feedback on that yet ...
>
> We are very dependent upon all stakeholders including yourself
> to review, test and comment upon this infrastructure as it is
> proposed and merged. If something is proposed which will not
> suit your requirements then it is important that we hear about
> it, in detail, at the earliest possible time.

okay, good to hear that I'm still considered a stakeholder

will try to focus the feedback and cc as many folks
as possible, as it seems that some feedback is lost
on the way upstream ...

best,
Herbert