[Devel] Re: [patch 05/10] add "permit user mounts in new namespace" clone flag

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 17 10:07:37 PDT 2007

Quoting Miklos Szeredi (miklos at szeredi.hu):

> > > That depends.  Current patches check the "unprivileged submounts
> > > allowed under this mount" flag only on the requested mount and not on
> > > the propagated mounts.  Do you see a problem with this?
> >
> > Don't see a problem if the flag is propagated to all peers and slave
> > mounts.
> >
> > If not, I see a problem. What if the propagated mount has its flag set
> > to not do un-priviledged mounts, whereas the requested mount has it
> > allowed?
>
> Then the mount is allowed.
>
> It is up to the sysadmin/distro to design set up the propagations in a
> way that this is not a problem.
>
> I think it would be much less clear conceptually, if unprivileged
> mounting would have to check propagations as well.
>
> Miklos

I'm a bit lost about what is currently done and who advocates for what.

It seems to me the MNT_ALLOWUSERMNT (or whatever :) flag should be
propagated.  In the /share rbind+chroot example, I assume the admin
would start by doing

	mount --bind /share /share
	mount --make-slave /share
	mount --bind -o allow_user_mounts /share (or whatever)
	mount --make-shared /share

then on login, pam does

	chroot /share/$USER

or some sort of

	mount --bind /share /home/$USER/root
	chroot /home/$USER/root

or whatever.  In any case, the user cannot make user mounts except under
/share, and any cloned namespaces will still allow user mounts.

Or are you guys talking about something else?

-serge