namespace support requires network modules to say "GPL"

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Tue Dec 4 09:59:05 PST 2007

Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> writes:

>> Regardless of infringement it is incompatible with a complete network
>> namespace implementation.  Further it sounds like the module you are
>> describing defines a kernel ABI without being merged and hopes that
>> ABI will still be supportable in the future.  Honestly I think doing so
>> is horrible code maintenance policy.
>>
> I don't mind if the ABI changes, so long as I can still use something similar.

It has occurred to me that I am seeing an implication here that may in fact not
exist.

My impression of dev_get_by_xxxx is that the function is only able to be used
sanely when being part of the definition of a kernel/userspace interface.  With
the further assumption on my part that you need to define a new instance of
dev_get_by_xxxx

It has just occurred to me that it is possible to reuse the SIOCBRADDIF
and SIOCBRDELIF for that same purpose without defining a new kernel/userspace
interface.

What and how are you using dev_get_by_xxx?