nxproxy patches

Cedric Le Goater clg at fr.ibm.com
Thu Feb 1 01:55:53 PST 2007

Andrew Morton wrote:
> Sorry, I've run out of confidence on these patches: heaps of rejects and
> build errors and me making changes in an ameteurish fashion to try to fix
> them.  Plus I have a feeling that there's still some disagreement about
> the actual implementation details in there.

well, here's what i recall from the last exchanges we had :

* eric said he wouldn't nak them if the status was marked experimental
  (mostly because uid checks haven't been done yet). that's a micro
  patch i have not sent yet.
* herbert said he could use them.
* so did the openvz team

Agree ?

if not, are the uid checks not being done the only argument to
declare the user namespace not mergeable yet (in 2.6.21) ?

> So I'm going to drop the lot.  These, in this order:
>
> introduce-and-use-get_task_mnt_ns.patch
> nsproxy-externalizes-exit_task_namespaces.patch
> user-namespace-add-the-framework.patch
> user-ns-add-user_namespace-ptr-to-vfsmount.patch
> user-ns-hook-permission.patch
> user-ns-prepare-copy_tree-copy_mnt-and-their-callers-to-handle-errs.patch
> user-ns-implement-shared-mounts.patch
> user_ns-handle-file-sigio.patch
> user-ns-implement-user-ns-unshare.patch
> #
> rename-attach_pid-to-find_attach_pid.patch
> attach_pid-with-struct-pid-parameter.patch
> remove-find_attach_pid.patch
> statically-initialize-struct-pid-for-swapper.patch
> explicitly-set-pgid-sid-of-init.patch
> #
>

> are at http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/nsproxy/

ok. got them.

> I seem to have folded two inappropriate patches into
> uts-namespace-remove-config_uts_ns.patch so perhaps it should be split up
> again, or just renamed.
>
> Could someone please fix them up, retest, re-changelog and resubmit them
> all for re-review?

We can definitely improve the testing ... I'll take them back in the -lxc
patchset and we will give them a good test shake in our labs before
resending.

thanks,

C.