+ user-ns-implement-user-ns-unshare-remove-config_user_ns.patch added to -mm tree

Cedric Le Goater clg at fr.ibm.com
Fri Jan 26 06:40:31 PST 2007

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> "Serge E. Hallyn" <serue at us.ibm.com> writes:
>
>> Allow me to re-ask a fundamental question:  do we want the uid namespace
>> to stick to turning uid checks into (uid,ns) checks?  or do we want the
>> uid namespaces to try to protect against root in other namespaces?
>
> I am fairly certain we want to at least make the checks (uid, ns) checks.
> That gives a minimal level of protection against root in other namespaces,
> as the lesser root does not match the (uid, ns) check for the system root.

I agree that we need the (uid, ns) checks. I would say that these are the next
steps to complete the user namespace feature and remove its experimental
status. But I'm glad that the kernel supports the initial framework, it
should make it easier to fill in the gap. IMO.

Note that we did the opposite with the pid namespace, clean up the kernel
before doing the framework, but the framework is also much more complex to
get right.

C.