L2 network namespaces + macvlan performances

Daniel Lezcano dlezcano at meiosys.com
Sat Jul 7 04:39:32 PDT 2007


Benjamin Thery wrote:
> Following a discussion we had at OLS concerning L2 network namespace
> performances and how the new macvlan driver could potentially improve
> them, I've ported the macvlan patchset on top of Eric's net namespace
> patchset on 2.6.22-rc4-mm2.
> 
> A little bit of history:
> 
> Some months ago, when we ran some performance tests (using netperf)
> on net namespace, we observed the following things:
> 
> Using 'etun', the virtual ethernet tunnel driver, and IP routes
> from inside a network namespace,
> 
> - The throughput is the same as the "normal" case(*)
>   (* normal case: no namespace, using physical adapters).
>   No regression. Good.
> 
> - But the CPU load increases a lot. Bad.
>   The reasons are:
>     - All checksums are done in software. No hardware offloading.
>     - Every TCP packets going through the etun devices are
>       duplicated in ip_forward() before we decrease the ttl.
>           (packets are routed between both ends of etun)
> 
> We also made some testing with bridges, and obtained the same results:
>     CPU load increase:
>     - No hardware offloading
>     - Packets are duplicated somewhere in the bridge+netfilter
>           code (can't remember where right now)
> 
> 
> This time, I've replaced the etun interface by the new macvlan,
> which should benefits from the hardware offloading capabilities of the
> physical adapter and suppress the forwarding stuff.
> 
> My test setup is:
> 
>   Host A                    Host B
>  ______________            ___________
> |  _________   |          |           |
> | | Netns 1 |  |          |           |
> | |         |  |          |           |
> | | macvlan0|  |          |           |
> | |___|_____|  |          |           |
> |     |        |          |           |
> |_____|________|          |___________|
>       | eth0 (192.168.0.2)     | eth0 (192.168.0.1)
>       |                        |
> -----------------------------------------
> macvlan0 (192.168.0.3)
> 
> - netperf runs on host A
> - netserver runs on host B
> - Adapters speed is 1GB/s
> 
> On this setup I ran the following netperf tests: TCP_STREAM, TCP_MAERTS, 
> TCP_RR, UDP_STREAM, UDP_RR.
> 
> Between the "normal" case and the "net namespace + macvlan" case, 
> results are  about the same for both the throughput and the local CPU 
> load for the following test types: TCP_MAERTS, TCP_RR, UDP_STREAM, UDP_RR.
> 
> macvlan looks like a very good candidate for network namespace in these 
> cases.
> 
> But, with the TCP_STREAM test, I observed the CPU load is about the
> same (that's what we wanted) but the throughput decreases by about 5%:
> from 850MB/s down to 810MB/s.
> I haven't investigated yet why the throughput decrease in the case.
> Does it come from my setup, from macvlan additional treatments, other? I 
> don't know yet
> 
> Attached to this email you'll find the raw netperf outputs for the three 
> cases:
> 
> - netperf through a physical adapter, no namespace:
>     netperf-results-2.6.22-rc4-mm2-netns1-vanilla.txt   
> - netperf through etun, inside a namespace:
>     netperf-results-2.6.22-rc4-mm2-netns1-using-etun.txt   
> - netperf through macvlan, inside a namespace:
>     netperf-results-2.6.22-rc4-mm2-netns1-using-macvlan.txt
> 
> 
> macvlan looks promising.
> 
> Regards,
> Benjamin

Very interesting.
Thank you very much Benjamin for investigating this.
I will update the http://lxc.sf.net web site with your description and 
results.


> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> NETPERF RESULTS: the "normal" case : 
> ====================================
> No network namespace, traffic goes through real 1GB/s physical adapters.
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> TCP STREAM TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.76.1 (192.168.76.1) port 0 AF_INET : +/-2.5% @ 95% conf.
> Recv   Send    Send                          Utilization       Service Demand
> Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed              Send     Recv     Send    Recv
> Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput  local    remote   local   remote
> bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/s  % S      % S      us/KB   us/KB
> 
>  87380  16384   1400    20.03       857.39   6.39     9.75     2.444   3.727  
> ------------------------------------------------
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> TCP MAERTS TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.76.1 (192.168.76.1) port 0 AF_INET : +/-2.5% @ 95% conf.
> Recv   Send    Send                          Utilization       Service Demand
> Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed              Send     Recv     Send    Recv
> Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput  local    remote   local   remote
> bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/s  % S      % S      us/KB   us/KB
> 
>  87380  16384  87380    20.03       763.15   4.75     10.33    2.038   4.434  
> ------------------------------------------------
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> TCP REQUEST/RESPONSE TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.76.1 (192.168.76.1) port 0 AF_INET : +/-2.5% @ 95% conf.
> Local /Remote
> Socket Size   Request Resp.  Elapsed Trans.   CPU    CPU    S.dem   S.dem
> Send   Recv   Size    Size   Time    Rate     local  remote local   remote
> bytes  bytes  bytes   bytes  secs.   per sec  % S    % S    us/Tr   us/Tr
> 
> 16384  87380  1       1      20.00   12594.24  4.16   6.06   13.212  19.231 
> 16384  87380 
> ------------------------------------------------
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> UDP UNIDIRECTIONAL SEND TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.76.1 (192.168.76.1) port 0 AF_INET : +/-2.5% @ 95% conf.
> Socket  Message  Elapsed      Messages                   CPU      Service
> Size    Size     Time         Okay Errors   Throughput   Util     Demand
> bytes   bytes    secs            #      #   10^6bits/sec % SS     us/KB
> 
> 110592    1400   20.00     1701653      0      952.9     6.84     2.354 
> 107520           20.00     1701647             952.9     9.66     3.321 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> UDP REQUEST/RESPONSE TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.76.1 (192.168.76.1) port 0 AF_INET : +/-2.5% @ 95% conf.
> Local /Remote
> Socket Size   Request Resp.  Elapsed Trans.   CPU    CPU    S.dem   S.dem
> Send   Recv   Size    Size   Time    Rate     local  remote local   remote
> bytes  bytes  bytes   bytes  secs.   per sec  % S    % S    us/Tr   us/Tr
> 
> 110592 110592 1       1      20.00   13789.92   3.82   6.16   11.087  17.855
> 107520 107520
> ------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> NETPERF RESULTS: the etun case :
> ====================================
> netperf is ran from a network namespace, 
> traffic goes through etun adapters.
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> TCP STREAM TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.76.1 (192.168.76.1) port 0 AF_INET : +/-2.5% @ 95% conf.
> Recv   Send    Send                          Utilization       Service Demand
> Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed              Send     Recv     Send    Recv
> Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput  local    remote   local   remote
> bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/s  % S      % U      us/KB   us/KB
> 
>  87380  16384   1400    40.02       840.64   12.89    -1.00    5.025   -1.000 
> ------------------------------------------------
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> TCP MAERTS TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.76.1 (192.168.76.1) port 0 AF_INET : +/-2.5% @ 95% conf.
> Recv   Send    Send                          Utilization       Service Demand
> Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed              Send     Recv     Send    Recv
> Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput  local    remote   local   remote
> bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/s  % S      % U      us/KB   us/KB
> 
>  87380  16384  87380    40.03       763.30   6.29     -1.00    2.701   -1.000 
> ------------------------------------------------
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> TCP REQUEST/RESPONSE TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.76.1 (192.168.76.1) port 0 AF_INET : +/-2.5% @ 95% conf.
> Local /Remote
> Socket Size   Request Resp.  Elapsed Trans.   CPU    CPU    S.dem   S.dem
> Send   Recv   Size    Size   Time    Rate     local  remote local   remote
> bytes  bytes  bytes   bytes  secs.   per sec  % S    % U    us/Tr   us/Tr
> 
> 16384  87380  1       1      40.00   12230.34  4.64   -1.00  15.167  -1.000 
> 16384  87380 
> ------------------------------------------------
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> UDP UNIDIRECTIONAL SEND TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.76.1 (192.168.76.1) port 0 AF_INET : +/-2.5% @ 95% conf.
> Socket  Message  Elapsed      Messages                   CPU      Service
> Size    Size     Time         Okay Errors   Throughput   Util     Demand
> bytes   bytes    secs            #      #   10^6bits/sec % SU     us/KB
> 
> 110592    1400   40.00     12981742      0     3634.7     25.64    8.801 
> 107520           40.00     3409123             954.5     -1.00    -1.000
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> UDP REQUEST/RESPONSE TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.76.1 (192.168.76.1) port 0 AF_INET : +/-2.5% @ 95% conf.
> Local /Remote
> Socket Size   Request Resp.  Elapsed Trans.   CPU    CPU    S.dem   S.dem
> Send   Recv   Size    Size   Time    Rate     local  remote local   remote
> bytes  bytes  bytes   bytes  secs.   per sec  % S    % U    us/Tr   us/Tr
> 
> 110592 110592 1       1      40.00   13385.96   4.22   -1.00  12.658  -1.000
> 107520 107520
> ------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> NETPERF RESULTS: the "normal" case :
> ====================================
> netperf is ran from a network namespace,
> traffic goes through a macvlan adapter.
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> TCP STREAM TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.76.1 (192.168.76.1) port 0 AF_INET : +/-2.5% @ 95% conf.
> Recv   Send    Send                          Utilization       Service Demand
> Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed              Send     Recv     Send    Recv
> Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput  local    remote   local   remote
> bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/s  % S      % S      us/KB   us/KB
> 
>  87380  16384   1400    20.03       817.40   7.26     12.96    2.912   5.200  
> ------------------------------------------------
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> TCP MAERTS TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.76.1 (192.168.76.1) port 0 AF_INET : +/-2.5% @ 95% conf.
> Recv   Send    Send                          Utilization       Service Demand
> Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed              Send     Recv     Send    Recv
> Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput  local    remote   local   remote
> bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/s  % S      % S      us/KB   us/KB
> 
>  87380  16384  87380    20.03       763.33   4.95     10.32    2.127   4.429  
> ------------------------------------------------
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> TCP REQUEST/RESPONSE TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.76.1 (192.168.76.1) port 0 AF_INET : +/-2.5% @ 95% conf.
> Local /Remote
> Socket Size   Request Resp.  Elapsed Trans.   CPU    CPU    S.dem   S.dem
> Send   Recv   Size    Size   Time    Rate     local  remote local   remote
> bytes  bytes  bytes   bytes  secs.   per sec  % S    % S    us/Tr   us/Tr
> 
> 16384  87380  1       1      20.00   12448.36  4.34   6.21   13.950  19.939 
> 16384  87380 
> ------------------------------------------------
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> UDP UNIDIRECTIONAL SEND TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.76.1 (192.168.76.1) port 0 AF_INET : +/-2.5% @ 95% conf.
> Socket  Message  Elapsed      Messages                   CPU      Service
> Size    Size     Time         Okay Errors   Throughput   Util     Demand
> bytes   bytes    secs            #      #   10^6bits/sec % SS     us/KB
> 
> 110592    1400   20.00     1704200      0      954.3     7.11     2.440 
> 107520           20.00     1704194             954.3     9.66     3.318 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> 
> ------------------------------------------------
> UDP REQUEST/RESPONSE TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.76.1 (192.168.76.1) port 0 AF_INET : +/-2.5% @ 95% conf.
> Local /Remote
> Socket Size   Request Resp.  Elapsed Trans.   CPU    CPU    S.dem   S.dem
> Send   Recv   Size    Size   Time    Rate     local  remote local   remote
> bytes  bytes  bytes   bytes  secs.   per sec  % S    % S    us/Tr   us/Tr
> 
> 110592 110592 1       1      20.00   13751.49   3.98   6.09   11.625  17.788
> 107520 107520
> ------------------------------------------------
> 



More information about the Containers mailing list