containers development plans (July 10 version)

Paul Menage menage at google.com
Tue Jul 10 15:25:41 PDT 2007

On 7/10/07, Serge E. Hallyn <serge at hallyn.com> wrote:

>         1. namespaces
>                 kernel resource namespaces to support resource isolation
>                 and virtualization for virtual servers and application
>                 checkpoint/restart.
>         2. task containers framework
>                 the task containers (or, as Paul Jackson suggests, resource
>                 containers) framework by Paul Menage which especially
>                 provides a framework for subsystems which perform resource
>                 accounting and limits.

I'd really rather avoid having "resource" in the name, since it's
meant to be for any kind of behaviour modification on groups of
processes. resource control is just one of those, albeit a significant
one.

Referring to the process tracking as "task containers" or "process
containers" while continuing to refer to the overall effort including
namespaces and userspace support as "containers" seems reasonably
unambiguous to me.

>                 specific containers
>                         usespace RBCE to provide controls for

The userspace RBCE should probably be in a separate bullet rather than
under "specific containers".

Paul