containers development plans (July 10 version)

Paul Menage menage at google.com
Tue Jul 10 23:06:42 PDT 2007

On 7/10/07, Serge E. Hallyn <serge at hallyn.com> wrote:

> A (still under construction) list of features we expect to be worked on
> next year looks like this:
>         4. task containers functionality
>                 specific containers

A couple of more container subsystem requests that have come out of
the Linux Foundation Japan symposium, although I think they've also
been mentioned before more than once - per-container swap and disk I/O
scheduling.

I'm not familiar enough with the current Linux disk scheduler code to
know how easy/hard it is to add rate guarantees on a per-container
basis, but the swap one should be easier.

One potential issue with the swap container is how integrated should
it be with the memory controller? I can certainly see people wanting
to be able to use a swap controller without requiring a page-based
memory controller (e.g. you might want to combine it with node-based
control via cpusets instead) but adding two pointers to the mm_struct,
one for swap controller subsystem and one for memory controller
subsystem, seems a little bit ugly.

Paul