[ckrm-tech] containers development plans (July 10 version)

Paul Menage menage at google.com
Wed Jul 11 00:31:22 PDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Balbir Singh <balbir at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> swap_list is a list of swap_devices associated with the container.

That doesn't sound so great, since you'd need to update all the
mem_container_ptr objects that point to that swap controller subsys
state when you change the swap devices for the container.

> > - when an mm is created, store a pointer to the task_struct that it
> > belongs to
> > - when a process exits and its mm_struct points to it, and there are
> > other mm users (i.e. a thread group leader exits before some of its
> > children), then find a different process that's using the same mm
> > (which will almost always be the next process in the list running
> > through current->tasks, but in strange situations we might need to
> > scan the global tasklist)
> >

> We'll that sounds like a complicated scheme.

I don't think it's that complicated. There would be some slightly
interesting synchronization, probably involving RCU, to make sure you
didn't derefence mm->owner when mm->owner had been freed but apart
from that it's straightforward.

> We do that currently, our mm->owner is called mm->mem_container.

No.

mm->mem_container is a pointer to a container (well, actually a
container_subsys_state). As Pavel mentioned in my containers talk,
giving non-task objects pointers to container_subsys_state objects is
possible but causes problems when the actual tasks move around, and if
we could avoid it that would be great.

> It points
> to a data structure that contains information about the container to which
> the mm belongs. The problem I see with mm->owner is that several threads
> can belong to different containers.

Yes, different threads could be in different containers, but the mm
can only belong to one container. Having it be the container of the
thread group leader seems quite reasonable to me.

> I see that we probably mean the same
> thing, except that you suggest using a pointer to the task_struct from
> mm_struct, which I am against in principle, due to the complexity of
> changing owners frequently if the number of threads keep exiting at
> a rapid rate.

In the general case the thread group leader won't be exiting, so there
shouldn't be much need to update it.

Paul