[patch -rss] Make RSS accounting display more user friendly

Pavel Emelianov xemul at openvz.org
Thu Jun 21 19:09:19 PDT 2007

Paul Menage wrote:
> On 6/20/07, Balbir Singh <balbir at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>>

>> Display the current usage and limit in a more user friendly manner.
>> Number
>> of pages can be confusing if the page size is different. Some systems
>> can choose a page size of 64KB.
>
> I'm not sure that's such a great idea. "Human-friendly"
> representations would make programmatic parsing harder.
>
> What's wrong with just showing counts in bytes in the control files?

Nothing wrong, but currently they are shown in "natural" points, i.e. in
those that the controller accounts them in. For RSS controller the natural
point is "page", but auto-converting them from pages to bytes is wrong, as
not all the controllers account in pages. I think that the better way is
to show the value in the internal units and specify (somehow) what these
units are. The userspace then can read them and convert accordingly.

> Paul

Thanks,
Pavel