[RFD] L2 Network namespace infrastructure

Jeff Garzik jeff at garzik.org
Sat Jun 23 18:28:44 PDT 2007

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Jeff Garzik <jeff at garzik.org> writes:
>
>> David Miller wrote:
>>> I don't accept that we have to add another function argument
>>> to a bunch of core routines just to support this crap,
>>> especially since you give no way to turn it off and get
>>> that function argument slot back.
>>>
>>> To be honest I think this form of virtualization is a complete
>>> waste of time, even the openvz approach.
>>>
>>> We're protecting the kernel from itself, and that's an endless
>>> uphill battle that you will never win.  Let's do this kind of
>>> stuff properly with a real minimal hypervisor, hopefully with
>>> appropriate hardware level support and good virtualized device
>>> interfaces, instead of this namespace stuff.
>> Strongly seconded.  This containerized virtualization approach just bloats up
>> the kernel for something that is inherently fragile and IMO less secure --
>> protecting the kernel from itself.
>>
>> Plenty of other virt approaches don't stir the code like this, while
>> simultaneously providing fewer, more-clean entry points for the virtualization
>> to occur.
>
> Wrong.  I really don't want to get into a my virtualization approach is better
> then yours.  But this is flat out wrong.

> 99% of the changes I'm talking about introducing are just:
> - variable
> + ptr->variable
>
> There are more pieces mostly with when we initialize those variables but
> that is the essence of the change.

You completely dodged the main objection.  Which is OK if you are
selling something to marketing departments, but not OK

Containers introduce chroot-jail-like features that give one a false
sense of security, while still requiring one to "poke holes" in the
illusion to get hardware-specific tasks accomplished.

The capable/not-capable model (i.e. superuser / normal user) is _still_
being secured locally, even after decades of work and whitepapers and
audits.

You are drinking Deep Kool-Aid if you think adding containers to the
myriad kernel subsystems does anything besides increasing fragility, and
decreasing security.  You are securing in-kernel subsystems against
other in-kernel subsystems.  superuser/user model made that difficult
enough... now containers add exponential audit complexity to that.  Who
is to say that a local root does not also pierce the container model?

> And as opposed to other virtualization approaches so far no one has been
> able to measure the overhead.  I suspect there will be a few more cache
> line misses somewhere but they haven't shown up yet.
>
> If the only use was strong isolation which Dave complains about I would
> concur that the namespace approach is inappropriate.  However there are
> a lot other uses.

Sure there are uses.  There are uses to putting the X server into the
kernel, too.  At some point complexity and featuritis has to take a back
seat to basic sanity.

	Jeff