Network Namespace status

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Sun Sep 16 15:36:43 PDT 2007

From: ebiederm at xmission.com (Eric W. Biederman)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:12:08 -0600

> The final blocker to having multiple useful instances of network
> namespaces is the loopback device.  We recognize the network namespace
> of incoming packets by looking at dev->nd_net.  Which means for
> packets to properly loopback within a network namespace we need a
> loopback device per network namespace.  There were some concerns
> expressed when we posted the cleanup part of the patches that allowed
> for multiple loopback devices a few weeks ago so resolving this one
> may be tricky.

There was a change posted recently to dynamically allocate the
loopback device.  I like that (sorry I don't have a reference
to the patch handy), and you can build on top of that to get
the namespace local loopback objects you want.

static struct net_device *loopback_dev(struct net_namespace *net)
{
}

You get the idea.