Kernel text size with pid namespace

sukadev at us.ibm.com sukadev at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 20 22:03:59 PDT 2007

Matt Mackall [mpm at selenic.com] wrote:
| On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 05:16:44PM -0700, sukadev at us.ibm.com wrote:
| > Matt,
| >
| > The pid-namespace patcheset (http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/8/10/118)
| > was added to the -mm tree in 2.6.23-rc3-mm1.
| >
| > With CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y this patchset increases the kernel
| > text size by about 5K (closer to 6K when the config token is set to N).
|
| That's not too bad.

Ok, thanks, I won't worry about for now :-)

Just curious, is there a magic number like 8K or 32K increase in size (of
unconditional code) that one should watch out for ?

| > As a quick test, I uninlined several helper functions and with this
| > the text size increased by about 4K. But since most of these inline
| > functions are used in process creation/termination, we would need to
| > keep them inline, when optimizing for performance.
|
| You are aware that functions as critical as spinlocks are now
| completely out of line, right? Given that a cache miss is
| significantly more expensive than a function call, fitting more in
| cache by reducing inlining tends to be a substantial win.

I am aware now :-)

| Inline functions still tend to make performance sense when the actual
| function body is more complex than setting up the call frame, of
| course, but in those cases, uninlining will tend to increase code
| size.
|
| But I'd be very surprised if uninlining things showed up negatively
| even on a microbenchmark like lmbench.
|
| Also, quick question (I haven't really looked at this code in any detail):
|
|  static inline pid_t pid_nr(struct pid *pid)
|  {
| 	pid_t nr = 0;
| 	if (pid)
| -	   nr = pid->nr;
| +	      nr = pid->numbers[0].nr;
| +	      return nr;
| +}
|
| Is calling this with a null struct pid a sensible thing to do or is it
| a bug?

Its not a bug. It just depends on whether the process is exiting or not.

| If the latter, it'd be preferable to just do:
|
| 	return pid->numbers[0].nr;
|
| And if the former, could we arrange to avoid using null struct pids at
| all? Perhaps by having a dummy zeropid?

Yes that sounds like a good idea, but requires us to carefully all uses
of the struct pid. Will look into it.