[patch 7/9] unprivileged mounts: allow unprivileged fuse mounts

Miklos Szeredi miklos at szeredi.hu
Wed Jan 9 00:47:31 PST 2008

> >> Eh? So 'kill -9 no longer works' and 'suspend no longer works' is not
> >> considered important enough to even mention?
> >
> > No.  Because in practice they don't seem to matter.  Also because
> > there's no way in which fuse could be done differently to address
> > these issues.
>
> Could you clarify, please? I hope I'm getting the wrong end of the stick
> - it sounds to me like you and Pavel are saying that this patch breaks
> suspending to ram (and hibernating?) but you want to push it anyway
> because you haven't been able to produce an instance, don't think
> suspending or hibernating matter and couldn't fix fuse anyway?

This patch has nothing to do with suspend or hibernate.  What this
patchset does, is help get rid of fusermount, a suid-root mount
helper.  It also opens up new possibilities, which are not fuse
related.

Fuse has bad interactions with the freezer, theoretically.  In
practice, I remember just one bug report (that sparked off this whole
"do we need freezer, or don't we" flamefest), that actually got fixed
fairly quickly, ...maybe.  Rafael probably remembers better.

> > The 'kill -9' thing is basically due to VFS level locking not being
> > interruptible.  It could be changed, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
> >
> > For the suspend issue, there are also no easy solutions.
>
> What are the non-easy solutions?

The ability to freeze tasks in uninterruptible sleep, or more
generally at any preempt point (except when drivers are poking
hardware).

I know this doesn't play well with userspace hibernate, and I don't
think it can be resolved without going the kexec way.

Miklos