memrlimit controller merge to mainline
kamezawa.hiroyu at jp.fujitsu.com
Tue Jul 29 20:11:15 PDT 2008
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:52:26 +0900
KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu at jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> mem+swap controller means a shrink to memory resource controller
> (try_to_free_mem_cgroup_pages()) should drop only file caches.
> (Because kick-out-to-swap will never changes the usage.)
> right ? only global-lru can make a swap.
> maybe I can add optimization to do this. Hmm. I should see how OOM works
> under some situation.
(I'm sorry that I'm not a good writer of e-mail.)
A brief summary about changes to mem controller.
- mem+swap controller which limits the # sum of pages and swap_entries.
- mem+swap controller just drops file caches when it reaches limit.
- under mem+swap controller, recaliming Anon pages make no sense.
- LRU for Anon is not necessary.
- LRU for tmpfs/shmem is not necessary.
just showing account is better.
- we should see try_to_free_mem_cgroup() again to avoid too much OOM.
Maybe Retries=5 is too small because we never do swap under us.
a problem like struck-into-ext3-journal can easily make file-cache reclaim
- need some changes to documentation.
- Should we have on/off switch of taking swap into account ?
or should we implement mem+swap contoller in different name than
"memory" controller ?
If swap is not accounted, we need to do swap-out in memory reclaiming path,
More information about the Containers