[patch 0/4] [RFC] Another proportional weight IO controller

Li Zefan lizf at cn.fujitsu.com
Mon Nov 17 23:42:39 PST 2008

Nauman Rafique wrote:
> If we start with bfq patches, this is how plan would look like:
>
> 1 Start with BFQ take 2.
> 2 Do the following to support proportional division:
>  a) Expose the per device weight interface to user, instead of calculating
>  from priority.
>  b) Add support for disk time budgets, besides sector budget that is currently
>  available (configurable option). (Fabio: Do you think we can just emulate
> that using the existing code?). Another approach would be to give time slices
> just like CFQ (discussing?)
> 4 Do the following to support the goals of 2 level schedulers:
>  a) Limit the request descriptors allocated to each cgroup by adding
>  functionality to elv_may_queue()
>  b) Add support for putting an absolute limit on IO consumed by a
>  cgroup. Such support is provided by Andrea
>  Righi's patches too.
>  c) Add support (configurable option) to keep track of total disk
> time/sectors/count
>  consumed at each device, and factor that into scheduling decision
>  (more discussion needed here)
> 6 Incorporate an IO tracking approach which re-uses memory resource
> controller code but is not dependent on it (may be biocgroup patches from
> dm-ioband can be used here directly)

The newest bio_cgroup doesn't use much memcg code I think. The older biocgroup
tracks IO using mem_cgroup_charge(), and mem_cgroup_charge() remembers a struct page
owns by which cgroup. But now biocgroup changes to directly put some hooks in
__set_page_dirty() and some other places to track pages.

> 7 Start an offline email thread to keep track of progress on the above
> goals.
>
> BFQ's support for hierarchy of cgroups means that its close to where
> we want to get. Any comments on what approach looks better?

Looks like a sane way :) . We are also trying to keep track of the discussion and
development of IO controller. I'll start to have a look into BFQ.