lxc userspace tools 0.3.0 released

Daniel Lezcano dlezcano at fr.ibm.com
Thu Oct 16 03:35:49 PDT 2008

Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> Well, Thanks for explanation...
>
> libvirt uses liblxc or uses kernelspace containers directly ?

kernelspace containers directly.

>>> 2. What portion of code is shared between the two ?
>> I am not sure I understand the question. Do you mean : "is liblxc using
>> OpenVZ code ?"
>>

> Here I mean that OpenVZ and LXC have kernelspace code shared - at
> least partially.
> (because OpenVZ developers are the ones who are developing kernelspace
> LXC and pushing code upstream)
>
> Do you know how much of it ?

Well OpenVZ guys are part of the container community, we are working
together to push upstream the kernel code, this is not only an OpenVZ
effort.

The userspace code is using a set of services provided by the kernel. So
instead of talking about shared kernel code, IMO, we can talk about the
used services by both OpenVZ and liblxc.

I can not give a full detail of what are the services used by OpenVZ but
I think it is reasonable to say liblxc uses at least a subset of what is
using OpenVZ.

Here is the detail of the kernel features used by the liblxc:
  * cgroup with cgroup scheduler and all the subsystems
  * freezer
  * ipc namespace
  * pid namespace
  * uts namespace