Network isolation with RLIMIT_NETWORK, cont'd.

Bryan Donlan bdonlan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 11:53:00 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 13:24 -0500, Bryan Donlan wrote:
>> Can this be done using openat() and friends currently? It would seem
>> the natural way to implement this; open /proc/(pid)/root, then
>> openat() things from there (or even chdir to it and see the mounts
>> that it sees from there...)
>
> Yeah, but /proc/<pid>/root is just a symlink. It's correct for chroots,
> but I doubt it can be meaningful for per-process namespaces.

The files in /proc/<pid>/fs are 'just symlinks', but opening them can
provide access to objects (eg, deleted files) not accessible through
the normal filesystem namespace. I see no reason, API-wise, why
/proc/<pid>/root couldn't be extended similarly - but I've not looked
at the namespaces implementation, so maybe there's some reason it'd be
difficult to implement...