Net containers config and usage

chris at versecorp.net chris at versecorp.net
Wed Jan 14 11:39:44 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 01:26:34PM -0600, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Lezcano (daniel.lezcano at free.fr):
> > chris at versecorp.net wrote:

> > > Ah, great, thanks to all for your help on this.
> > > Do you have any rough estimate when the support for sysfs per namespace will
> > >
> > The sysfs per namespace has been rejected because of some design
> > problems related with the sysfs itself.
> > Perhaps Eric can tell more about that...
>
> Chris, in the meantime, is using the physical device an absolute
> necessity, or could you work around it for now using a veth tunnel?
>
> Even if Eric has been working on the sysfs locking rework quietly
> the last few months, i'd expect several months of back-and-forth
> trying to prove that the rework is correct...
>
> -serge

Yes, ultimately we'll need the physical device inside the same namespace
as our application.  Our application does a lot of management on the interface,
monitoring things like the interface's link-pulse and such, and that wouldn't
be available through a virtual interface.  We can always redesign things
to have the management portion run in the namespace with the physical interface,
but for performance reasons we'd eventually want the physical interface to be
directly inside the namespace anyway - so that would probably be wasted effort.

Thanks,
Chris