nsgroup autoremoving

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Sun Jan 18 15:32:16 PST 2009

Quoting Daniel Lezcano (daniel.lezcano at free.fr):
> Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
>> Quoting Daniel Lezcano (daniel.lezcano at free.fr):
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> While trying to unshare a namespace with the clone syscall with an
>>> inifinite loop, I got an EEXIST.
>>> That looks weird to have such syscall returning EEXIST ... :)
>>>
>>> After investigating, it appears the ns_cgroup creates automatically a
>>> control group named with the pid number when we call the clone
>>> syscall with a namespace parameter and when the namespace exits, the
>>> control group is not automatically removed. So when the pid numbers
>>> are recycled we conflict with a previous ns_cgroup name and the clone
>>> fails.
>>>
>>> IMHO, if the nsgroup is automatically created, it should
>>> automatically destroyed, otherwise what will happen to application
>>> using the namespaces (eg. mount namespace) wrote before nsgroup
>>> appeared ?
>>>

>> but you can have it automatically destroyed.  I.e. I did the
>> following:
>>
>> mount -t cgroup -o freezer,ns freezer /cgroup
>> cat > /bin/release_cgroup.sh << EOF
>> #!/bin/sh
>> echo "Removing dead cgroup .$*." >> /var/log/cgroup
>> rmdir /cgroup/$* >> /var/log/cgroup 2>&1
>> echo "return value was $?" >> /var/log/cgroup
>> EOF
>> echo /bin/release_cgroup.sh > /cgroup/release_agent
>> echo 1 > /cgroup/notify_on_release
>> chmod ugo+x /bin/release_cgroup.sh
>> ns_exec -m /bin/sh
>> ls /cgroup`
>> 	3581  notify_on_release  release_agent  tasks
>> exit
>> ls /cgroup
>> 	notify_on_release  release_agent  tasks
>>
> Assuming you mount with all the subsystems, this script will destroy the
> non-nsgroup too. Each time I create a control group manually, I have to
> unset the notify_on_release, right ?

I assume notify_on_release is per-hierarchy.  So you're just asking
about manually created cgroups in a hierarchy which has ns mounted,
right?

I suppose you could use a naming convention and do some name
checking in the release_agent to not delete manually created
ones.

Would that be too much of a hassle?

Maybe you're right.  Maybe we should tag auto-created cgroups,
and auto-remove them.  It's more convenient for me that way...
Paul, would you have any objections?  Daniel do you have a patch
written?

-serge