vlan based macvlan issue

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Wed Jul 15 01:13:13 PDT 2009

Sudheer <sudheer at wellspringsys.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
>    I have created a macvlan container using one vlan interface . After that
> I couldn't ping form the macvlan container to the host machine which is
> included the same vlan network. Below the details.
>
> lxc-macvlan config file :
>
>        lxc.utsname = alpha
>        lxc.network.type = macvlan
>        lxc.network.flags = up
>        lxc.network.link = eth1.100
>        lxc.network.hwaddr = 4a:49:43:49:79:bd
>        lxc.network.ipv4 = <xx.xx.100.xx>
> After creating the container able to see the macvlan interface but couldn't
> ping from the container to host machines. Is anything missing in my above
> config file or anything need to be add for vlan based macvlan?

That is one of the dubious features of macvlan devices.

There are some good technical reasons for it as fixing it makes
the macvlan code noticeably more complicated and expensive.

My suggestion would be to not use the primary ethernet interface
and use macvlans for everything.  macvlan to macvlan communication
should work properly and you should loose anything always going
through a macvlan.