[BUG] net_cls: Panic occured when net_cls subsystem use

jamal hadi at cyberus.ca
Mon Jun 1 15:06:03 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 22:49 +0200, Jarek Poplawski wrote:

> Actually, I'd insist with the old rock and handling that other rude
> u32 case, at least until it's fixed in place. So I attach my version
> of your patch (additionally I removed a pair of braces because of
> checkpatch warning).

Sure, it doesnt complicate anything - Minoru, this is the version to go
for.

> Alas, I still think we don't need to change so much in -stable to
> fix the cls_cgroup oops, so I attach a patch which I think is
> enough for -stable and probably -net too. It could be "reverted"
> in -net-next just after applying cls_api patch. Of course, treat
> it only as my humble proposal, and feel free to recommend to David
> your version, no problem (really).

My view is the same - that the second patch doesnt fix the root
cause; and it is not that complicated to fix the root cause. So I humbly
disagree with you.

The issue is that a classifer (cls_group in this example) is being
misconfigured. It rejects the config - but the tp has already been
added.
It then tries to use the tp in the fast and fails.

If you look as closely as you did with the patch i posted, youd find
ways to construct similar hostile misconfigs for other classifiers.
You just need to create the scenario where the attributes will fail to
validate.

I actually suspect the most common scenario for such a failure is not
that head is null (I doubt in Minoru case that allocation will fail);
rather it is some reference to head->something.

cheers,
jamal