IO scheduler based IO controller V10

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Oct 2 07:24:41 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009, Jens Axboe wrote:

> It's really not that simple, if we go and do easy latency bits, then
> throughput drops 30% or more.

Well, if we're talking 500-950% improvement vs 30% deprovement, I think
it's pretty clear, though. Even the server people do care about latencies.

Often they care quite a bit, in fact.

And Mike's patch didn't look big or complicated.

> You can't say it's black and white latency vs throughput issue,

Umm. Almost 1000% vs 30%. Forget latency vs throughput. That's pretty damn
black-and-white _regardless_ of what you're measuring. Plus you probably
made up the 30% - have you tested the patch?

And quite frankly, we get a _lot_ of complaints about latency. A LOT. It's
just harder to measure, so people seldom attach numbers to it. But that
again means that when people _are_ able to attach numbers to it, we should
take those numbers _more_ seriously rather than less.

So the 30% you threw out as a number is pretty much worthless.

		Linus