pidns memory leak

Sukadev Bhattiprolu sukadev at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Oct 9 13:38:09 PDT 2009

Andrea,

We have been running a leak in child pid namespaces and some early debugging
points to the following commit:

>> 	commit 7766755a2f249e7e0dabc5255a0a3d151ff79821
>> 	Author: Andrea Arcangeli <andrea at suse.de>
>> 	Date:   Mon Feb 4 22:29:21 2008 -0800

Reverting the commit seems to fix the leak but we need to do some more
analysis (like the lstat() question Daniel has).

However I have a basic question regarding the commit - the log mentions:

	> do_exit->release_task->mark_inode_dirty_sync->schedule() (will never
	> come back to run journal_stop)

But release_task() calls shrink_dcache_parent() for a _procfs_ dentry. Does
journal_stop() apply to procfs also ?

Thanks,

Sukadev