Containers vs. OpenVZ

Matt Helsley matthltc at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 17 17:24:16 PDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:33:40PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> could anyone please point out the difference main difference
> between linux-containers and openvz ? It is possible to replace
> ovz by linux-containers yet ?
>
> thx

Hi,

	At the very least there is no kernel code in mainline for
checkpoint/restart of containers at this time. We're still working on
patches for that feature. So that's one major difference between
"linux-containers" and openvz.

	I'm sure there are other differences which openvz and lxc folks
can point out but this is the one I'm presently most-keenly aware of. I
haven't had time to follow what's new with openvz so I'll leave the
rest of the comparison to other folks.

Cheers,
	-Matt Helsley