Containers HOWTO? (Where do I start?)

Rob Landley rlandley at parallels.com
Wed Dec 8 00:36:05 PST 2010

I've been poking at the container code and reading the openvz wiki and the pages linked from http://lxc.sourceforge.net/index.php/about/kernel-namespaces/ and random other things Google finds like http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-do-live-migration-of-openvz-containers but I have yet to find a good "start here" document for what I want to do.

I want to build a containers test environment from source.  I.E. I want to configure and build a kernel, build and configure my own root filesystem, invoke a chroot-with-benefits binary to set up a new init process in a container, and run test programs in the container.

I've found a lot of articles on how to use a distro to automate away the details, and I've found articles on several of the individual components, but if there's a design overview or a HOWTO on adding container support to a system you built yourself, I haven't found it yet.  (A case insensitive search of Documentation didn't find a filename with "contain" or "vz" in it.)

I have no shortage of things to read, but it's all really unfocused.  Any hints to help narrow my search?

Thanks,

Rob