In the brig's gig, bringing with

Blacknall Andes phenotypic at chblawfirm.com
Sat Mar 20 13:43:51 PDT 2010

--he posted up pretty thoroughly in the current news,

as well as such of the "dodges" of the slavers as he had happened to have picked up. He said that at
the moment there were no ships in the river,
but that intelligence--whether trustworthy or no, however, he could not state--had reached him of the daily-expected arrival of three ships from Cuba. He also confirmed a very extraordinary story which had been told our skipper by the governor of Sierra Leone, to the effect

that large cargoes of slaves, known to have been collected on shore up the river, awaiting the arrival of the
slavers, had from time to time disappeared
in a most mysterious manner, at times when, as far as could be ascertained,
no craft but men-o'-war were anywhere near the neighbourhood. At noon the _Fawn_ filled away and bore up for Jamaica--whither she was to proceed preparatory to returning home to be paid off--her crew manning the rigging and giving us a parting cheer as she did so; and two hours later her royals dipped

below the horizon, and we were left alone in our glory. On parting from the _Fawn_ we filled away again upon the starboard tack, the wind being off the shore, and at noon brought the ship to an anchor in nine fathoms of water off Padron Point (the projecting headland on the southern side of the river's mouth) at a distance of two miles only from the shore. The order was
then given for the men to
go to dinner as soon as that meal could be got ready; it being understood that, notwithstanding the
_Fawn's_ assurance as t