Se tools handy as I need 'em." He

Feldhake revisable at biedermann.us
Sun Mar 21 20:09:28 PDT 2010

At the other would break the wall of reserve at
this moment of parting. He hesitated a moment--an awkward instant--then he bowed and left the room. Captain Downs walked with Mayo for a distance across the sand-dunes when the latter started to make his way to the nearest railroad station. The captain intended to remain at the inlet tmtil a representative
of the _Alden's_ owners arrived. They left Bradish still huddled behind the stove in the kitchen. "Unless my eyes have gone back
on me, Captain
Mayo, my notion is that the dude is wasting his time hanging
around that girl any more," suggested Captain Downs. "She has had him out on the marine railway of love, has made proper survey, and has
decided that she would hate to sail the sea of matrimony with him. Don't you think that's so?" "I think you're a good judge of what you see, Captain Downs." "I reckon that you and I as gents and master mariners are going to keep mum about

her being aboard the _Alden?_" "Certainly, sir." "The
coast-guard crew don't know who she is, and they can't find

out. So she can go home and mind her business from this time out. 'Most every woman does one infernal fool thing in her life--and then is all right ever after. But now a word on some subject

that's sensible! What are you going to do?" "Stick my head into the noose.
It's about the only thing I can do." "But you'll talk up to 'em, of course?" "I'll play what few cards I hold as best I know, sir. The most I can hope for is to make 'em drop that manslaughter case. Perhaps
I can say enough so that they'll be afraid to bring me to trial. As to getting my papers back, I'm afraid that's out of the question. I'll have to start life over in something else." "Mayo, why don't you go to the captain's
office?" He promptly answered the young man's glance of inquiry.
"Julius Marston himself is the supreme boss of that steamship-consolidation business. Bradish gave all

that part away, telling about those checks; though, of course, we all
knew about Marston before. It is probably likely that

Marston gives true courses to his understrappers. If they take fisherman's cuts between buoys in
order to get there quick,

I'll bet he doesn't know about it. Go to him and tell him, man to man, what has happened to you." "There are two reasons why I shall probably

never see

Mr. Marst