Testing lxc 0.6.5 in Fedora 13

Oleg Nesterov oleg at redhat.com
Fri Mar 26 04:11:31 PDT 2010

On 03/25, Grzegorz Nosek wrote:

> On wto, mar 23, 2010 at 02:28:34 -0700, Matt Helsley wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 08:50:44PM +0100, Grzegorz Nosek wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > 2. Weird strace behaviour across pidns boundary
> > >
> > > When strace'ing (with -ff) lxc-start, I get a proper strace for the
> > > directly spawned process and the container init. However, any processes
> > > spawned by the container's init are not straced properly

Yes, this is broken. More precisely, this wasn't even supposed to work.

Even stracing of the sub-init itself (or global init btw) has problems,
the straced init is not protected from unwanted signals.

> > I'm suprised strace of ls works across pid namespaces. I've been looking
> > at strace and it seemed to me that one kernel change and a bunch of strace
> > changes are needed to make strace'ing in child pid namespaces work.

Yes. First of all, tracehook_report_clone_complete() reports the wrong pid nr,
as it seen inside the init's namespace. This is easy to fix, but I doubt this
can help. IIRC strace doesn't use PTRACE_GETEVENTMSG at all, it looks at eax
after syscall.

> Eric
> > Biederman's setns() patches also might help.
>
> Thanks for the patch and the detailed explanation.

which patch?

Oleg.