cgroup information proc file format

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Thu Aug 11 13:55:31 PDT 2011

Hi all,

the cgroup cpuset and memory reduce access to a part of the resources on
the system. Some applications use the /proc/cpuinfo and /proc/meminfo to
allocate the resources. For instance, HPC jobs look at /proc/cpuinfo to
fork the number of cpu found in this file either look at /proc/meminfo
to allocate a big chunk of memory. Each process set the affinity on each
cpu, which in case a subset of cpus is used, some affinity will fail.

In the case of the container, the cgroup is used to reduce the memory or
to assign a cpu to the container. Unfortunately, as this partitioning is
not reflected in /proc, the different system tools (ps, top, free, ...)
show a wrong information.

I was wondering if that would make sense to create for the different
cgroup subsystem, when it is relevant, a proc formatted file we can bind
mount /proc.

For example: /cgroup/memory.proc and /cgroup/cpuset.proc

Any ideas ?

  -- Daniel