clone() with CLONE_NEWNET breaks kobject_uevent_env()

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Fri Aug 19 00:52:07 PDT 2011

(added cc to containers list)

On 08/18/2011 11:45 AM, Milan Broz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after analysing very strange report (with running chromium
> some device-mapper ioctl functions started to fail) I found
> interesting problem:
>
> If you run clone() with CLONE_NEWNET (which is chromium using
> for sanboxing), udev namespace is cloned too (newly registered
> in uevent_sock_list) and netlink send (except the first in list)
> fails with -ESRCH.
>
> This causes that _every_ call of kobject_uevent_env() return failure.
>
> Most of users silently ignores  kobject_uevent() return value,
> so the problem was invisible for long time.
>
> Unfortunately dm checks return value and reports failure,
> taking the wrong error path.
>
> How is this supposed to work?
>
> Why cloning net namespace breaks the udev netlink subsystem?
>
> Is it bug or we need to do something differently?
> (I do not think ignoring return value is the proper way...)

I forgot to explicitly mention that running clone with CLONE_NEWNET
causes kobject_uevent_env() to fail _outside_ of cloned namespace
(for all kernel users in fact).

(The former problem is described here
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.device-mapper.dm-crypt/5256
but it is IMHO generic problem. Instrumenting  kobject_uevent() shows
that it returns send failure really to all events.)

Can anyone please explain this behavior?

Milan