[RFC] fs, proc: Introduce the /proc/<pid>/map_files/ directory v2

Cyrill Gorcunov gorcunov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 10:07:05 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 07:01:47PM +0200, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 12:29:44PM +0400, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> >  | lr-x------ 1 cyrill cyrill 64 Aug  9 15:25 0x3d73a00000 -> /lib64/ld-2.5.so
> >  | lr-x------ 1 cyrill cyrill 64 Aug  9 15:25 0x3d73c1b000 -> /lib64/ld-2.5.so
> >  | lr-x------ 1 cyrill cyrill 64 Aug  9 15:25 0x3d73c1c000 -> /lib64/ld-2.5.so
> >  | lr-x------ 1 cyrill cyrill 64 Aug  9 15:25 0x3d73e00000 -> /lib64/libc-2.5.so
> >  | lr-x------ 1 cyrill cyrill 64 Aug  9 15:25 0x3d73f4e000 -> /lib64/libc-2.5.so
>
> I would prefer if the filename included both start and end addresses
> so that it matches the first column of /proc/PID/maps and ls'ing the
> directory is more useful.  What do other people think?

This will force us to bloat proc_inode a bit more, since at moment we
have a union such as

struct proc_inode {
	struct pid *pid;
	union {
		int fd;
		unsigned long vm_start;
	};

also it will require to make a buffer for names twice bigger as well.
If all this not a problem -- then sure we can do that ;)

	Cyrill