[RFC] per-containers tcp buffer limitation

Daniel Wagner wagi at monom.org
Thu Aug 25 11:27:54 PDT 2011

Hi Chris,

On 08/25/2011 05:05 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
> On 08/25/2011 06:55 AM, Daniel Wagner wrote:
>
>> I'd like to solve a use case where it is necessary to count all bytes
>> transmitted and received by an application [1]. So far I have found two
>> unsatisfying solution for it. The first one is to hook into libc and
>> count the bytes there. I don't think I have to say I don't like this.
>
> Is there any particular reason you can't use LD_PRELOAD to interpose a
> library to do the statistics monitoring?

This is certainly possible to do for any dynamic linked application. I
think it wouldn't work for static linked ones. Currently I don't know if
I have to face such application on the project I am on. The reason why I
am not so a big fan is that using the LD_PRELOAD trick seems very
hackish to me.

As Glauber has argumented in this thread, there are properly quite a few
people who want to control or monitor sockets. It seems I am one of
those. Having this kind of support in cgroups seems like a very neat
solution to me.

thanks,
daniel