Containers and /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Mike Hommey mh at glandium.org
Wed Jan 5 01:40:22 PST 2011

[Copy/pasted from a previous message to lkml, where it was suggested to
 try containers@]

Hi,

I noticed that from within a lxc container, writing "3" to
/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches would flush the host page cache. That sounds a
little dangerous for VPS offerings that would be based on lxc, as in one
VPS instance root user could impact the overall performance of the host.
I don't know about other containers but I've been told openvz isn't
subject to this problem.
I only tested the current Debian Squeeze kernel, which is based on
2.6.32.27.

Cheers,

Mike