Two newbie questions on containers

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Tue Jan 11 14:08:55 PST 2011

Hi,

I'm in the process of learning about Linux containers, including cgroups, and
the learning curve seems pretty steep to me.  So I have a couple newbie
questions for all of you.  Any detailed answered are greatly appreciated.

1) For the PowerPC architecture, is there anything that is "missing"?  I can't
really tell how much of cgroups and lxc is architecture-specific, and there
appears to be PowerPC support for both already.  I'd like to know if this
another one of those areas, like KVM, where x86 is fully implemented and PowerPC
support is lagging.

2) Given a random device driver, like a driver for a serial port, is there an
opportunity for the driver to be enhanced to support cgroups or lxc?  Doing a
simple search of the kernel source code, I don't really see any drivers making
calls into any cgroup code, so I don't understand how to restrict device access
to a specific container or cgroup.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale