device(s) namespace

Serge E. Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Fri Jan 28 06:33:04 PST 2011

Quoting Oren Laadan (orenl at cs.columbia.edu):
> Hi,
>
> I vaguely recall some discussions/ideas about the possibility
> of a devices namespace, its pros and cons, and alternative.
> Related to that is also device viruatlization, and isolation
> of devices in containers.
>
> Any thoughts and or pointers to past/current discussions are
> welcome :)
>
> Thanks,

What I find in my old containers folders when grepping for
'device namespace' is mainly vague references to devicens as
a more ideal solution to other patches being submitted (namely
the device cgroup, the sysfs directory tagging, and ptyns).

A link which was referenced in one of those emails:

https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/containers/2008-April/010810.html

So while I'm pretty sure I have in the past seen discussions on what
the device namespace would look like, they must have been on irc or
in person.

-serge