Unable to checkpoint containers

Greg Kurz gkurz at fr.ibm.com
Wed Jul 13 02:39:54 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 01:22 -0700, Prashanth Mohan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been following the steps in
> https://ckpt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Link-LXC-USERCR to get the LXC
> 0.7.1 stack to work with checkpoint and restore functionality. When I
> try to checkpoint a container, I get the following error (prmohan6
> being my container name):
>
> lxc-checkpoint: checkpoint of prmohan6 (pid 8263) failed
>
> lxc-checkpoint: failed to checkpoint 'prmohan6'

Hi,

AFAIK, these patchsets for LXC are experimental and unmaintained...

> I then tried to checkpoint a single process using the user-cr tools,
> which also failed
> $ sudo checkpoint -v 14520
> checkpoint: Device or resource busy
> (you may use 'ckptinfo -e' for more info)

Did you freeze the container before checkpointing ?

> And 'ckptinfo -e' would just idle and not print out anything for me.
> Does any one know what could be the issue?

'ckptinfo -e' must be fed with a checkpoint image:

cat image_file | ckptinfo -e

or

ckptinfo -r image_file

Gregory Kurz                                     gkurz at fr.ibm.com
Software Engineer @ IBM/Meiosys                  http://www.ibm.com
Tel +33 (0)534 638 479                           Fax +33 (0)561 400 420

"Anarchy is about taking complete responsibility for yourself."
        Alan Moore.