new cg-manager gui tool for managin cgroups

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jul 21 07:52:03 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:36:23AM -0400, Jason Baron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 07:01:30PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 15:20 -0400, Jason Baron wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've been working on a new gui tool for managing and monitoring cgroups, called
> > > 'cg-manager'. I'm hoping to get people interested in contributing to this
> > > project, as well as to add to the conversation about how cgroups should
> > > be configured and incorporated into distros.
> > >

> > As a high-level comment, I don't think 'cgroup management' is a very
> > compelling rationale for an end-user graphical tool.
> >
> > For most people it will be much better to expose cgroup information in
> > the normal process monitor. For people who want to use the specific
> > cgroup functionality of systemd, it will be better to have that
> > functionality available in a new service management frontend.
>
> I've thought that displaying at least the cgroup that a process is part of would
> be nice in the system monitor as well.
>
> I think its a question of do we want to make users go to a bunch of
> different front end tools, which don't communicate with each other to
> configure the system? I think it makes sense to have libvirt or
> virt-manager and systemd front-end be able to configure cgroups, but I
> think it would be also nice if they could know when the step on each
> other. I think it would also be nice if there was a way to help better
> understand how the various system components are making use of cgroups
> and interacting. I liked to see an integrated desktop approach - not one
> where separate components aren't communicating with each other.

It is already possible for different applications to use cgroups
without stepping on each other, and without requiring every app
to communicate with each other.

As an example, when it starts libvirt will look at what cgroup
it has been placed in, and create the VM cgroups below this point.
So systemd can put libvirtd in an arbitrary location and set an
overall limits for the virtualization service, and it will cap
all VMs. No direct communication between systemd & libvirt is
required.

If applications similarly take care to honour the location in
which they were started, rather than just creating stuff directly
in the root cgroup, they too will interoperate nicely.

This is one of the nice aspects to the cgroups hierarchy, and
why having tools/daemons which try to arbitrarily re-arrange
cgroups systemwide are not very desirable IMHO.

> > The only role I could see for this kind of dedicated cgroup UI would be
> > as a cgroup debugging aid, but is that really worth the effort,
> > considering most cgroup developers probably prefer to use cmdline tools
> > for the that purpose ?
> >

> The reason I started looking at this was b/c there were requests to be
> able to use a GUI to configure cgroups. Correct me if I'm wrong, but  the answer
> is go to the virt-manager gui, then the systemd front end, and then hand edit
> cgrules.conf for custom rules. And then hope you don't start services in
> the wrong order.

My point is that 'configure cgroups' is not really a task users would
need to. Going to virt-manager GUI, then systemd GUI, and so on is not
likely to be a problem in the real world usage, because the users tasks
do not require that they go through touch every single cgroup on the
system at once.

People who are using virtualization, will already be using virt-manager
to configure their VMs, so of course they expect to be able to control
the VMs's resource utilization from there, rather than any external tool

People who are configuring system services and want to control the
resources of a service on their system, would expect todo so in the
same tool where they are enabling their service, along with changing
firewall rules for that service all in the same place. They again would
have no little to go off to separate tools for cgroups or firewalling
while enabling services.

Regards,
Daniel