Possible race between cgroup_attach_proc and de_thread, and questionable code in de_thread.

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Wed Jul 27 00:11:01 PDT 2011

Hi,
  I've been exploring the use of RCU in the kernel, particularly looking for
  things that don't quite look right.  I found cgroup_attach_proc which was
  added a few months ago.

 It contains:

	rcu_read_lock();
	if (!thread_group_leader(leader)) {
		/*
		 * a race with de_thread from another thread's exec() may strip
		 * us of our leadership, making while_each_thread unsafe to use
		 * on this task. if this happens, there is no choice but to
		 * throw this task away and try again (from cgroup_procs_write);
		 * this is "double-double-toil-and-trouble-check locking".
		 */
		rcu_read_unlock();
		retval = -EAGAIN;
		goto out_free_group_list;
	}

 (and having the comment helps a lot!)

 The comment acknowledges a race with de_thread but seems to assume that
 rcu_read_lock() will protect against that race.  It won't.
 It could possibly protect if the racy code in de_thread() contained a call
 to synchronize_rcu(), but it doesn't so there is no obvious exclusion
 between the two.
 I note that some other locks are held and maybe some other lock provides
 the required exclusion - I haven't explored that too deeply - but if that is
 the case, then the use of rcu_read_lock() here is pointless - it isn't
 needed just to call thread_group_leader().

 The race as I understand it is with this code:

		list_replace_rcu(&leader->tasks, &tsk->tasks);
		list_replace_init(&leader->sibling, &tsk->sibling);

		tsk->group_leader = tsk;
		leader->group_leader = tsk;

 which seems to be called with only tasklist_lock held, which doesn't seem to
 be held in the cgroup code.

 If the "thread_group_leader(leader)" call in cgroup_attach_proc() runs before
 this chunk is run with the same value for 'leader', but the
 while_each_thread is run after, then the while_read_thread() might loop
 forever.  rcu_read_lock doesn't prevent this from happening.

 The code in de_thread() is actually questionable by itself.
 "list_replace_rcu" cannot really be used on the head of a list - it is only
 meant to be used on a member of a list.
 To move a list from one head to another you should be using
 list_splice_init_rcu().
 The ->tasks list doesn't seem to have a clearly distinguished 'head' but
 whatever is passed as 'g' to while_each_thread() is effectively a head and
 removing it from a list can cause a loop using while_each_thread() can not
 find the head and so never complete.

 I' not sure how best to fix this, though possibly changing
 while_each_thead to:

   while ((t = next_task(t)) != g && !thread_group_leader(t))

 might be part of it.  We would also need to move
    tsk->group_leader = tsk;
 in the above up to the top, and probably add some memory barrier.
 However I don't know enough about how the list is used to be sure.

Comments?

Thanks,
NeilBrown