Tests for cpusets and cgroup performance measurement

Jaswinder Singh jaswinderlinux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 22:42:41 PDT 2011

Hello Paul,

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Paul Menage <menage at google.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 3:42 AM, Jaswinder Singh
> <jaswinderlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Can you please suggest some simple tests to measure the performance
>> enhancement by using cpusets/cgroups.
>
> The cgroups framework is simply a way of grouping processes together
> and allowing subsystems (memory, CPU, disk I/O, etc) to associate
> state objects with each group. Generally this is for improving
> isolation rather than improving performance - sticking extra machinery
> and scheduling in will typically reduce overall throughput, but make
> it more practical to share resources safely between multiple groups of
> processes.
>
> Your question is pretty open-ended - what's your ultimate goal? You
> should probably be focusing on some particular problem that you're
> trying to measure/improve via resource isolation/scheduling.

As per http://www.clusterresources.com/torquedocs21/3.5linuxcpusets.shtml :

Under section 3.5.4 Cpuset advantages / disadvantages

"Jobs on larger NUMA systems may see a performance boost if jobs can be
intelligently assigned to specific CPUs. Jobs may perform better if
striped across physical processors, or contained within the fewest
number of memory controllers."

I am curious and want to try some simple tests so that I can see the
performance improvement by using cpusets on my PCs.

Can you suggest some tests so that I can study them.

Thank you,
--
Jaswinder Singh.